WHAT IS COPE™?
The Comprehensive Outpatient Program for Eating Disorders (COPE™) at Atlanta Center for Wellness (AC4W) is an intermediate level of care that combines evidence-based therapies with integrative services for the holistic treatment of eating disorders, on an outpatient basis.
COPE is comprised of a comprehensive menu of therapeutic services, including meal groups and individualized supports.
Individual and family therapy sessions, Family-Based Treatment (FBT), nutrition, medical oversight, and psychiatry appointments are available through AC4W. For individuals who already have an established outpatient team in place, we will collaborate with your assigned team. If the providers are AC4W clinicians, the frequency of meetings and fees are determined by each individual clinician (see clinician bios).
- Individuals needing additional support than offered by traditional outpatient care
- Individuals trying to prevent a higher level of care
- Individuals participating in Family-Based Treatment (FBT)
- Individuals stepping down from a higher level of care
- Individuals new to the therapeutic process
- Individuals in a stage of discernment about treatment options
HOW IT WORKS
The program is an “à la carte” system of treatment, whereby individuals can choose from a variety of group modalities and customize frequency to best support their stabilization and recovery from eating disorder symptoms. The individual may choose anywhere between one and all of the groups throughout any given week, thus receiving treatment that meets their needs, schedule, and/or financial situation. The program offerings will vary as needs in the community and population change.
COPE is currently offered Monday through Friday of every week.
Led by experienced, fully licensed eating disorder therapists, therapeutic groups are held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 4:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
Therapeutic groups may include: Body Acceptance, Mindfulness, Skills Groups (DBT, CBT, ACT, Triangle Theory), Process Groups and Experiential Groups.
Meal Support Groups
Led by either a licensed therapist or a masters-level registered dietitian, meal support groups (dinner) are held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 5:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
COPE offers eating disorder support groups – ANAD and FED (Family & Friends of those with Eating Disorders) – at no cost. Both groups are led by licensed psychotherapists and provide free, wraparound services for those seeking recovery and encouragement.
Individual, family, nutrition, psychiatry and medical appointments are scheduled as needed.
All groups are held in person at:
Atlanta Center for Wellness
6100 Lake Forrest Drive, Suite 450
Atlanta, GA 30328
Our COPE wing features a large kitchen; intimate dining room setting for meal support groups and family meals; nutrition consult room; therapy rooms; medical clinic for pediatrician appointments; and large group room overlooking beautiful treetops. Individual and family meetings are held in person, with the flexibility of being able to provide online support if, and when, needed.
- All therapeutic and meal support groups are priced at $75 per group.
- ANAD and FED are offered at no cost.
- A Family-Based Treatment (FBT) group is available for parents at different times throughout the year. Prices vary for the FBT group depending on how many family members sign up. All other services vary in cost.
We require a one-month financial commitment paid before the first group of the month for any group in which you/your loved one attends. You choose the groups. This affords the flexibility of creating your own schedule. The commitment allows us to plan groups, ensure attendance for other group attendees and leaders, and encourage planning and commitment to the recovery process.
For example, if you choose to attend our Body Mindfulness Group on Mondays – and there are four Mondays in the month – you will pay $300 ($75 x 4) prior to the first Monday of that month.
If you attend the Body Mindfulness Group and Meal Group on Mondays, you will pay $600 ($150 x 4), and if you attend all three therapy groups without the meal group, you will pay $900 ($225 x 4), provided there are four weeks in the month. The full program, in a four-week month, would cost approximately $1,800 per month.
If you join in the middle of the month, you will pay for the remainder of that month. For example, if you sign up on the 15th of the month, you will pay for the remaining two weeks.
If you are new to the world of eating disorder treatment, you can schedule a 90-minute intake appointment with a licensed professional to help you navigate options to best suit your needs.
*Please refer to this web page for the most up-to-date schedule and offerings.
To register for COPE, please fill out the Patient Portal form at the bottom of this page. Our administrator, Kim Frey, will contact you for a brief intake assessment, as well as assist with further registration.
Please email [email protected] or call (404) 343-4162 with any questions or concerns.
The full COPE program may include:
- Up to 8.5 hours of group support each week
- One to two: 30- to 60-minute nutrition therapy session(s), with several meal support opportunities each week
- Medical oversight by a board-certified, licensed eating-disorder-specialty pediatrician (through age 21)
- ANAD – Free support group (weekly)
- FED – Free parent support group (weekly)
- Medication evaluation and management with a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner specializing in eating disorders
- One to two: 50-minute session(s) of individual therapy, and one family therapy session each week
- FBT-Informed Parent-Focused Therapy Group for Parents of Children with Restrictive Eating Disorders
11-12:30pm: FBT-Informed Parent-Focused Therapy Group for
4:15-5:15pm: Multi-Skills Group
5:15-6:15pm: Meal Group
5pm-6pm: Finding Me, Finding Balance:
MEET OUR TEAM
PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR & ADMISSIONS COORDINATOR
Kim Frey has over 30 years of administrative and billing experience in the mental health field, and has worked with various members of Atlanta Center for Wellness for decades. She conducts the initial intake assessments for COPE (Comprehensive Outpatient Program for Eating Disorders); manages the patient portal system; and oversees all billing and administrative responsibilities. Kim serves as a liaison between clients, family members and COPE's clinical staff. To contact Kim, please email [email protected] or call 404-343-4162.
To register and create a patient account, please sign up here:
For more information about COPE™ at AC4W, please sign up here: